This week I attended the EcoDistricts Summit Tuesday
and Wednesday of this week and I can’t tell you how many times I heard the
phrase “it may be a good idea but will it
pencil out.” Coincidentally this week’s
BGI topics centered on the bottom line and the metrics we use to evaluate
a successful business’s bottom line. The EcoDistrict Summit experience has
definitely renewed my desire to not only
understand personally the metrics for a projects or business financial success
but also to continue to empower others to learn these tools and use to use them
for good! The next paragraphs are a brief recap of the EcoDistricts Summit in
context of the bottom line.
While I haven’t personally attended a lot of conferences I
felt this one was pretty good. There was a diverse global representation of
people, an engaging keynote speaker, a wide variety of professionals, and a
pretty good diversity of topics and issues addressed in the breakout sessions.
The Summit’s one weakness is the broad overarching topic itself: EcoDistrict
but I’m not sure that can be helped.
EcoDistrict is loosely defined as an area that is more than
one building but not more than a city sharing resources in the
collective pursuit of sustainability. You can immediately see how this gets
messy. Sustainability is a complex idea;
it is more than just protecting our natural resources it also includes fostering social
equity and financial security for all. On
a building scale the ideas of sustainability are more focused on the
environmental footprint of that building; example metrics/certifications include Living
Building Challenge, LEED, Evergreen Standards, etc. But when you move to the neighborhood scale a
collection of LEED buildings does not automatically make a neighborhood
sustainable. We can all agree that if a
neighborhood has social inequalities and financial disparities it is not
sustainable. The good news our human brain is capable of dealing with complex ideas and issues. This one is no
different. As I ranted about in my blog las week complex messy problems are the spark of innovation!
“Fix the cities fix the world.” This is maybe my favorite
quote of the weekend. It represents this idea that if we can make changes for
good in our own communities we make changes for good in our nation and our
world. We have to remember there is no
cookie cutter option that can be applied to every city or every neighborhood.
Each ‘district’ has to come up with what works for them socially, financially,
and environmentally. At the summit we learned about some great Swedish examples
of EcoDistricts planning and implementation.
Malmo’s Wester Harbour is one of their shining examples (http://www.malmo.se/English/Western-Harbour.html).
One fact I think is worth passing along
is that Sweden has continued to increase their Gross National Product while
reducing Carbon Emission. They've learned lessons and improved their technology
and now share it through their special Swedish Sustainable brand SymbioCity (http://www.symbiocity.org/en/). It is
both informative and inspiring, and I recommend checking it out. But again, the
big take away from their presentation is this is not a ‘plug and play’ way to build a sustainable neighborhood. Sweden has
much higher energy prices and is an important trigger point to spur developers
towards high energy efficiency. In the U.S. we need to get
creative and find different triggers. We
need to find triggers that get us to the place where the bottom line still ‘pencils
out.’ My opinion our trigger may be valuing the human and environmental capitol in the bottom line. If human and environmental capitol are valued upfront as investments in the project those investments will pay off later with financial rewards. But a few individuals need to think outside the box and take a few risk to prove to everyone this kind of bottom line thinking will pay off.
The keynote speaker at the conference Carol Colletta,
executive director of ArtSpace, talked about place making. The top three things
she listed that create place for people are (1) the social fabric, (2) the aesthetics
of the place, and (3) it’s distinctiveness. I want to take a moment to expand on her third
point as it was a topic that came up a lot at the conference as a way to engage
the community. Example after example project success depended on citizen involvement.
Citizens felt more engaged when they had a sense of place and that sense of
place was derived from something distinctive about their collective
neighborhood. One example given was a
web platform that citizens could engage public agencies by posting what they
thought should be done to enhance the city in different location. When the city
acted on one of the unique ideas by adding a spray park to a neighborhood park
it instantly became a place of pride for the neighborhood. It then spurred even
more citizen involvement, continued funding and innovation in the neighborhood.
I was struck at the conference by a few participants who are still hoping for the magic bullet that will make their idea reality. This magic bullet is often either some public or private grant money. This type of waiting around hoping for funding is a function of the grantor/grantee system. It is not an empowering way to think about creating change. A great example of creating change that is not grant dependent is ioby.com. The co- founder of ioby.com, Erin Barnes, spoke at the conference and she shared some great examples of small demonstrative projects that got citizens excited about change and used crowd sources as a tool to start the momentum. I won’t go into examples here but again check it out (ioby.com) along with this great pdf guide about Tactical Urbanism (http://issuu.com/streetplanscollaborative/docs/tactical_urbanism_vol_2_final?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222). These are both powerful tools to get beyond the doom and gloom of ‘we have no funding, so I can’t make a change.’ Start small, demonstrate, and make a case for your idea by showing people exactly what is so awesome about your project!
Another speaker at the forum was Mark Edlen of Gerding
Edlen, a Portland based developer company. Mr. Edlen said the formation of his
company was based in his own personal ethic not about the profit. In fact many of the decision his company has
made over the years went against conventional wisdom but years after those
decision were made they are considered the new standards. Today Gerding Edlen
is a successful development company that is asked to participate in projects
across the nation. I think this is a great example of the benefits Bob Willard
talked about in his book The New Sustainability Advantage. It’s a company that
is not only profitable because it manages risks, invests wisely but because its
foundation is rooted in sustainable culture; their tag line is People-Prosperity-Planet.
As a private property developer they are
truly benefiting from their sustainable advantage in all 7 of the advantages
Willard addresses: (1) increased revenue and market share, (2) reduced energy
expenses, (3) reduced waste expenses, (4) reduced material and water expenses,
(5) increased employee productivity, (6) reduced hiring and attrition expenses,
and (7) reduced risk. I think Gerding
Edlen is a great example of several innovative thinkers with passion and
ethics made it ‘pencil out.’
I think too often the saying ‘it just won’t pencil out’ is a
cop out. It’s a way of saying, yes, that is a brilliant idea, but it is too hard to think about ways to make it happen. Often as individual or communities groups with
great ideas we can be talked out of our idea by someone the bank, grantor,
financial consultant simply saying ‘it won’t pencil out.’ This is why we all
need to take control over our own knowledge. If we have a basic understanding
of bottom line metrics we can challenge the experts by pointing out non-traditional
revenue streams and sustainable savings helping them realize that our brilliant idea
will ‘totally pencil out!’


Hey Dom, Nice post. That conference sounds interesting and I didn't know what EcoDistrict meant or that they had a conference. So that's nice, I just learned something. I was thinking about how much sustainability activity is happening in urban areas now and how the sustainability in farming movement sort of started a long time ago and the rural areas are perhaps entering a little laurel resting phase. I mean I think rural folks are always trying to be more sustainable because it's a pain in the ass to drive to town to get another whatever, but on the other hand, there is a lot of duplicated work in the country where it seems like the community is small and close knit but often everyone is so spread out that we hardly see each other. I'm getting to my point, hold on. I was thinking that there are probably a number of ways that rural communities and even organic farms could work together the way urban communities are starting to and we need to be a little more critical of the small-mid size family farms (and the organic ones too) and think about how they can operate more like team players. Does this make sense? I think I've been operating under the assumption that all changes need to be made by the Industrial Ag folks and city folks who buy crappy food but we need to be concentrating on how we can work together more and more, and not leave out our weird farmer friends because they live an hour away. I'm sorry, this makes no sense, I'm just thinking about how applying the concepts you discussed at EcoDistrict to a rural community that contained a few farms could be interesting.
ReplyDeletehehe, I love that I get to listen to your brain out load! I think i'm connecting to what you are saying. How can some of these cool tools to create community in urban areas be used to connect rural communities and harness the power of partnership and collaboration! I like it!
ReplyDelete