so·cial
of or pertaining to human society, especially as a body divided into classes according to status: social rank.
eq·ui·ty
the quality of being fair or impartial; fairness; impartiality:the equity of Solomon. Synonyms: disinterest, equitableness,impartiality, fair-mindedness, fairness, justness,evenhandedness, objectivity; justice, probity. Antonyms:bias, discrimination, inequity, injustice, partiality,partisanship, prejudice, unfairness, unreasonableness;injustice.
com·mu·ni·ty
a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharingcommon characteristics or interests and perceived orperceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the largersociety within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): thebusiness community; the community of scholars.
I remember not too long ago
sitting around at a staff meeting with my boss and talking about our
office values, goals, etc. We are a community based architecture firm on
Capitol Hill. A lot of our conversation focused around our
connections to our neighborhood. How we, as designers, wanted to created spaces
that foster and encouraged community. We wanted to create community that was
open to all and full of diversity. As a quick exercise my boss asked each team
member to talk about what community meant to them. The answers were as you might
expect; support, trust, shared values, shared proximity, shared goals, shared
history, etc. She pointed out after we all shared that community and creating
community does not equal social equity. Creating community was about finding people that often had shared values and social equity was about making space for everyone within a community.
Let’s take a moment here for
a quick history lesson. Social equity is a newer word in the sustainable
vernacularly and is popularly defined as equal opportunity for all in a safe
and healthy environment. It has gained popularity after the President's Council
on Sustainable Development, in 1996, defined Social Equity as "equal
opportunity, in a safe and healthy environment" in their report. Today it is considered vital third element in
the three legged stool of the sustainability.
So if a community is people
with shared histories, things in common, a family, or a group of friend then it
is clear that just by creating community we are not ensuring all human beings
social equity.
Creating community can foster social equity but there needs to be awareness and intention to allow all
human beings to participate in the new community. I think we as future leaders
in the new sustainable economy need to be aware of our own mental models of
community as we strive for social equity with in our communities. I believe social equity can be at odds with our
personal ideas of community. Community by its definition is about creating an
‘us’ and ‘them’ which is the opposite of a club that everyone can belong to.
Before I go too far let me be clear there is absolutely nothing wrong with
creating communities based on common histories, shared values, geographic
location, etc., we just can’t call that creating social equity. A truly social
equitable community would not be comprised of all like mined individuals or
individuals who have shared histories. In
the end a truly socially equitable community would likely take many of us out
of our comfort zone and challenge our mental models of community. It would be
the community of the globe.
I think as individuals and
as a society we need to be aware the communities we create and the barriers
we place on who is allowed into them. Again, I don’t think we must always have socially
equitable communities at every level of our life or at every level of society. What we need is that every individual and every
discrete community has the same social opportunity to have expression in our
society.
I realize this is a long
rant for what some might consider not a big issues but I challenge you to
listen to the how ‘social equity’ and ‘creating community’ are often used
interchangeably. They are not interchangeable.
Oh, and how the heck does
this relate to economics you ask.. well let me tell you! Fostering both
communities and social equality (and understanding the difference) for
individuals, groups, and communities to express themselves will develop positive
human capital. Empowered expressive people are no longer liabilities but rather
assets to society. They contribute to society as equals making the whole system
stronger.
“Social Equity is the
cornerstone of Social Capital, which cannot be maintained for a few at the
expense of the many.” (wikipeda.com)
Dom, thanks for focusing on this idea this week. I read it and it totally got me thinking. I was exhausted and somehow wound my way around to an idea through writing my own blog afterwards. Okay, so perhaps the biggest leverage point that would lead to shifting people's paradigms would be to expand our food community by working to create more equity in the local population. Then more people would have the option of choosing local food, and might actually do it. It's funny that it almost hadn't occurred to me that they couldn't choose local food over non-local food. (I mean, it's not as bad as that sounds, I understand there are poor people, I think I had just set them aside in my mental model of a food community to wait for the poverty group's solutions)
ReplyDeleteCommunity capital is real and it has real value. We can benefit from community in ways that are not measured by the GDP but have real consequences on our well being and even finances. Also, did you get into the Econ reading? Keynesian theory is all about paying people more so they have more to spend in the economy. I feel nicer talking about equity but money and social equity are pretty tightly connected. I wonder if money would follow social equity's lead? Anyway, I think this was a really interesting point and I enjoyed your post. Thanks